SAN FRANCISCO (KPIX 5) — Two Salesforce software engineers have taken on the revival of a historic San Francisco venue called the Great Star Theater in Chinatown. Executive Director Roger Pincombe said he had his first date with his wife and now Director of Community Relations Alice Chu at Great Star in 2017. READ MORE: ‘Why Would Something Like This Happen To Me?’ 94-Year-Old Anh ‘Peng’ Taylor Recovering After Shocking SF Stabbing Attack "It's been so sad seeing it empty for the past several years and we're really excited to be able to bring it back as a venue that can be used by the community for all sorts of shows – both Chinatown, Chinese opera, and also Western and local performers as well," he said. The couple took on a 10-year lease at the building, hoping it would bring some life back to the neighborhood and add another option for live artists, who lost nearly all of their revenue during the pandemic. The two started a non-profit to operate the venue, fittingly calling it "The Great Star Theater." They sunk $150,000 dollars of their own money along with donations into restoring it. Pincombe said the theater originally opened in 1925… Read full this story
- San Francisco venerable dim sum restaurant Ton Kiang to close after 42-year run
- No, I'm not leaving San Francisco
- Forces keep battering San Francisco — and its spirit is still alive
- More Than Half Of San Francisco Storefronts Closed Due To Pandemic
- San Francisco’s Lazy Bear rose out of a recession. Can it survive coronavirus?
- Most San Francisco Gap stores close permanently, including Market Street flagship
- Cal ISO Declares Stage 2 Emergency; Rolling Blackouts Possible As Heat Wave Maintains Grip On San Francisco Bay Area
- Newsom: San Francisco Could Exit Watch List This Week, Reopen For In-Person Schooling Soon
- Best new takeout dishes in San Francisco and the Bay Area to try right now
- Less than half of San Francisco storefront businesses open at start of pandemic still operating
Historic San Francisco Chinatown Theater Prepares for Grand Opening have 327 words, post on sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com at June 17, 2021. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.