After carrying the weight of the global economy since World War II with little fanfare, the lowly shipping pallet is finally commanding some respect. Demand for the platforms used to haul nearly every consumer good or industrial ingredient is soaring amid a surge in e-commerce, forcing retailers and manufacturers to expand warehouses or pile inventories higher. At the same time, two keys to production – cheap lumber and labour – are scarce, and even nail costs are rising. The result: pallet prices have hit record highs, according to a US Labour Department index, and European gauges show big jumps from the UK to Germany. The market may stay hot through the peak construction season in the springtime and as Covid-19 vaccines help revive restaurants and event venues – adding to inflationary pressures rippling across supply chains. "Supply is just barely keeping up with demand," said Howe Wallace, chairman and CEO of PalletOne Inc, a Bartow, Florida-based producer with facilities across the southeast. "It’s a pretty dicey situation." READ MORE: Help, my husband won’t stop building things out of pallets DIY project: upcycle pallets into festive Christmas trees Businesses cutting land-filling by recycling thousands of wooden pallets into the community At… Read full this story
- Rallying: Tanak takes early lead in Monte Carlo season-opener
- Australian Open ready to launch after pandemic palpitations
- Australian Open | All set for the ‘Nervous Slam’
- How the West Lost COVID
- Full transcript of "Face the Nation" on February 7, 2021
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS FEB. 25
- Myanmar's Aung San Suu Kyi seen in court for the first time since coup
- The Hill's Morning Report - Biden on COVID-19: Next year Americans will be 'better off'
- FMIA Super Bowl LV: Strange Season, Normal Result—Tom Brady Wins His Seventh Title, Leads Bucs Over Chiefs
- How China is devastating Australia's billion-dollar wine industry
The forgotten shipping pallet is staging a pandemic-era rally have 298 words, post on www.stuff.co.nz at April 12, 2021. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.