“China’s strategy is being implemented with a power-based approach versus a rules-based approach,” said Cmdr. Jonathan Odom, Military Professor of International Law, Marshall Center for Security Studies. He was speaking Tuesday at a virtual webinar on the “Rule of Law and Gray Zone Activities in the East and South China Seas,” hosted by Pacific Forum, a non-profit, foreign policy research institute based in Honolulu, Hawaii, the U.S. Odom noted that China’s strategy has recently been called cabbage strategy, salami slicing, or win without fighting at sea. Beijing is trying to demonstrate superiority in the situation and to trouble others while refraining for provoking countries enough to trigger use of force and self-defense. He called them “gray activities.” In the United Nation Charter, there is a provision that an armed attack triggers the right of self-defense of the country that’s being attacked. Most countries take the view that while the right to self-defense is triggered by an armed-attack, other uses of force enjoin the attacked nation to respond with actions that don’t rise to the level of use of force. “I’d rather use the phrase 'risk-fare,' that is, using risk as a weapon,” Odom said. The international rules based approach demands… Read full this story
- Is China's New "Laser Rifle" Actually a Joke?
- China, our frenemy at the gate: Pomp of state visit by Hu Jintao can't disguise serious tensions
- The Widening Rift Between the US and China
- Protester Shot in H.K. on China’s National Day: Hong Kong Update
- Why social media is friend to far-right politicians around the world
- Crucial role of right-wing media missing from impeachment coverage
- Analysis: Crucial role of right-wing media missing from impeachment coverage
- No, equal rights for women aren’t in the Constitution. Could Rep. Speier change that?
- How China, Brexit, and the US derailed global 5G Wireless
- Theragun: How to use it with strains, sprains and injured veins
Might's right: China uses military muscle to override legal shortcomings have 320 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at April 29, 2021. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.