Myanmar is experiencing political instability after its army seized power and detained government leader Aung San Suu Kyi and much of her party leadership last month. Protests have broken out nationwide and at least 50 people have been killed. Hunter Marston, a PhD researcher with the Australian National University, said that “Vietnam can play a constructive role within ASEAN to encourage Myanmar to return to stability and release political prisoners.” He said Vietnam, chair of ASEAN last year, has shown that it values the rule of law, international peace and stability. Tear gas and fire extinguisher gas float around demonstrators during a protest against the military coup in Naypyitaw, Myanmar, March 8, 2021. Photo by Reuters. According to Marston, ASEAN might not really push for a diplomatic solution to Myanmar but the association could play an important role in negotiations with other countries that are capable of forcing the military to negotiate with the elected government and protesters. Among these, the key countries are Japan, Australia, and China. Australia could push for a diplomatic solution because it has some communication with Myanmar's military and may not adopt widespread sanctions like the U.S. Japan has a long history of providing aid… Read full this story
- Bangladesh accuses Myanmar of 'hollow promises' as it tells UN it will no longer take in refugees
- Moldova has established diplomatic relations with Cameroon
- Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un in Vietnam ahead of summit meeting
- Reuters: After Venezuelan troops block aid, Maduro faces 'diplomatic siege'
- Bangladesh tells UN it will no longer take in Myanmar refugees
- Trump-Kim summit: Kim says he is willing to denuclearise as leaders meet for second set of talks in Vietnam
- Trump-Kim summit: Second round of talks in Vietnam wrapping up sooner than expected
- North Korea's Kim arrives in Vietnam
- Aviation giant Boeing’s crash crisis
- 2019 State of the Judiciary Address
Vietnam can use diplomatic clout in addressing Myanmar crisis: experts have 302 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at March 9, 2021. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.