The Cái Lớn sluice is being built in Kiên Giang Province. VNA/VNS Photo Lê Sen HCM CITY — Saltwater intrusion in the Cửu Long (Mekong) Delta will continue to increase in March and April, according to the National Centre for Hydro-Meteorology Forecasting. The peak of saltwater intrusion will occur during high tide on March 12 -16, March 27 – April 1, April 9 – 14 and April 24 – 30. The delta, the country's largest rice, fruit and seafood producer, is facing a higher than normal level of saltwater intrusion from the sea through river mouths in the ongoing dry season. However, it is not as severe as the level of the previous dry season. The delta's provinces have dredged irrigation canals to store more water and upgraded and built dams and sluices to prevent saltwater intrusion and store fresh water. Nguyễn Thiện Pháp, head of the Tiền Giang Province's Irrigation Sub-department, said the province has built eight dams to store fresh water for agricultural production and supply daily use water for 800,000 households. Farmers in Tiền Giang, the country's largest fruit producer, have stored irrigation water in their orchard ditches for fruit and other crops. In Cà Mau Province, farmers have stored fresh water in containers and have switched to growing drought –… Read full this story
- Book excerpt: "Every Day Is Extra" by John Kerry (with audio)
- The urgent need to save our oceans
- Family members question practices at Anyana-Kai following deaths of loved ones
- Wetland damage from roseau cane plague visible in satellite images
- Seattle's weather finally allows for some meteor shower viewing this week
- Cuomo makes pitch to Trump for new Hudson rail tunnel
- In 2017 Op-Ed, new acting attorney general said Mueller 'is going too far'
- Mattress Firm reportedly planning bankruptcy filing
- United Airlines catering workers start voting to decide if they want to unionize
- 15 public deaths that shocked San Antonio
Mekong Delta faces peak saltwater intrusion in March, April have 313 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at March 4, 2021. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.