Japan will extend a coronavirus state of emergency in the Tokyo area by a fortnight, officials said Friday, less than five months ahead of the pandemic-postponed Tokyo Olympics. The emergency measure, which primarily calls for bars and restaurants to close from 8pm, was supposed to end on Sunday and has been lifted early in other regions. It has brought infections down in the capital but the rate of decline is slowing and medics say hospitals in and around Tokyo are still under strain. The government’s top spokesman said the measure would continue in Tokyo and three surrounding regions until March 21 — four days before the nationwide Olympic torch relay kicks off in northeastern Fukushima. “Regarding the critical situation of the number of hospital beds available, it does not appear that pressure is easing in a stable manner,” Katsunobu Kato told reporters. The extension is expected to be officially announced on Friday evening. Despite a winter spike in Covid-19 cases, Japan has seen a comparatively small outbreak overall with just over 8,000 deaths. Tokyo logged around 270 daily infections on average over the past week — but experts warn of a potential resurgence after restrictions are lifted. Prime Minister Yoshihide… Read full this story
- Australia's overseas travel ban is extended by three months due to the 'unacceptable public health risk' posed by coronavirus - with first holidays not possible until just before Christmas
- Japan may halt travel subsidy campaign in more cities: Reports
- Japan Cabinet approves more defence funds amid potential threats
- GPS stations key to state's quake warning system
- The Bay Area is more skeptical of COVID-19 lockdowns this time. Why?
- Life and death inside a Bay Area ICU stressful, ‘but we’ve got this’
- How the Bay Area’s latest coronavirus surge is hitting low-income communities of color
- Charts compare coronavirus crisis in each Bay Area county as holidays begin
- ‘Dangerous time’: Some Bay Area hospitals close to running out of ICU beds as death tolls near records
- COVID Surge: San Joaquin Valley, SoCal Region Lockdowns Likely to Be Extended
Japan to extend virus state of emergency in Tokyo area have 332 words, post on dtinews.vn at March 5, 2021. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.