Video PlayerClose UNITED NATIONS, Feb. 1 (Xinhua) — The program of work for the Security Council in February will be focused on the global challenges of climate, COVID-19 and conflict, said the president of the council on Monday. “Our overall objective is a Security Council that addresses significant global challenges. And those, I think, come into three words beginning with C: COVID, conflict and climate,” said British ambassador to the United Nations, Barbara Woodward, whose country holds the rotating Security Council presidency for the month of February. “But we also want to see a Security Council that is taking the opportunity for new agreements, given the new (elected) members and the new commitment of the U.S. administration to multilateralism. We also want to have a focus on transparency, on outcomes, and on the perspective of youth, because the challenges that we face now are truly inter-generational challenges,” she added. Briefing reporters on the Security Council’s program of work for February, Woodward said British Prime Minister Boris Johnson will preside over an open debate on climate security on Feb. 23. UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has agreed to brief the council. The debate will look, in particular, at the threats that climate… Read full this story
- Haley urges support for Mideast peace plan in closing Security Council remarks
- South Africa assumes Non-Permanent Seat on the United Nations Security Council
- ‘Milestones are clear’ for ‘significant progress’ in Somalia during 2019, Security Council hears
- The Latest: UN Security Council pays silent tribute to Bush
- The Latest: US wants Security Council meeting on Venezuela
- The Latest: Security Council to meet over Russia, Ukraine
- The Latest: UN Security Council condemns Kenya attack
- What Qualifies You to Become a Top Trump Energy Regulator? Telling Your Son to Deny Climate Change.
- US joins Saudi Arabia, Russia to weaken climate change report
- Preventing further conflict in Cameroon and the Lake Chad Basin
UN Security Council work in February to focus on climate, COVID-19, conflict: president have 304 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at February 2, 2021. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.