3 It will take years, not months, to gain the upper hand in the coronavirus pandemic — and it will require thinking well beyond our borders, says Dr. Larry Brilliant. The 76-year-old Bay Area epidemiologist, who has worked to eradicate smallpox, polio and co-founded the Seva Foundation in Berkeley to combat blindness, has a unique perspective on the subject. For years, Brilliant warned of a pandemic on the scale of the one we are living through. He even served as the senior technical adviser on the 2011 motion picture "Contagion," filmed partly at the San Francisco 49ers old stadium, Candlestick Park — during which time he presciently predicted that epidemiologists would become rock stars and stadiums would become mass vaccination sites. As the CEO of Pandefense Advisory, Brilliant has assisted in the global response to the coronavirus crisis over the past year. He has a broader view of the pandemic than most public health leaders and scientists, having invested his life's work in anticipation of this very moment. He is encouraged by dropping case counts, the rapid development and rollout of innovative new vaccines, the new science-driven leadership in the White House. But Brilliant is not here to reassure anyone… Read full this story
- At Least 7 Killed as Cyclone 'Bulbul' Barrels Through Coastal Areas of Bengal, Normal Life Hit
- Is China losing the battle against an incurable pig virus?
- Trapped shoppers are forced to spend the night in Sheffield's Meadowhall shopping centre as torrential rain caused flood chaos with more families are evacuated from their homes overnight and 116 warnings still in place
- Day of reckoning: Great wall of fire bears down on Sydney TODAY with chilling graphic showing how the worst conditions in Australian history could destroy hundreds of thousands of homes - and authorities say they can't save everyone
- Hottest October day in SEVEN years hits today as temperatures reach 77F but a month's worth of rain is on the way to fall in just three days
- What America Can Learn From Russia's Cheap But Deadly T90 Tank
- Cyclone 'Bulbul' disrupts normal life in Bengal; 4 killed
- Seven killed as cyclone ‘Bulbul’ disrupts normal life in Bengal
- Seven killed as cyclone Bulbul disrupts normal life in West Bengal
- 7 killed as cyclone 'Bulbul' disrupts normal life in Bengal
'The problem is tomorrow's variants': Renowned Bay Area epidemiologist predicts prolonged pandemic have 370 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at February 15, 2021. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.