MELBOURNE — Exactly one year after New Zealand recorded its first coronavirus case, the country's biggest city, Auckland, woke up on Sunday to a second lockdown this month as health authorities try to rein in a cluster of the more contagious UK variant. The seven-day lockdown of the city of nearly 2 million, announced late Saturday by Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, was prompted by the case of a person who had been infectious for a week but had not been in isolation. "It is more than likely there will be additional cases in the community," Ardern told a televised news conference, although there were no new cases recorded on Sunday. The lockdown follows a three-day stay-at-home order in mid-February after a local emergence of the UK variant of the new coronavirus that causes COVID-19. There are now about 14 cases linked to the cluster. "Despite our best efforts to date, recent cases have gone to work when they shouldn't have," Ardern said. Judith Collins, leader of the opposition, called for tougher penalties against those not following public health advice around isolation. "No one wants to be yo-yoing in and out lockdown," Collins said in a statement. The new lockdown, with… Read full this story
- Coronavirus: How New Zealand relied on science and empathy
- New Zealand wants coronavirus elimination, Australia wants COVID-19 'suppression' — but can we have both?
- Coronavirus update: Australians register for early super withdrawal, Wuhan death toll revised, NASA astronauts return to earth
- Australia’s curve flattens amid calls for China inquiry
New Zealand's Auckland starts second COVID-19 lockdown this month have 258 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at February 28, 2021. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.