A new coronavirus variant that shares some similarities with a more transmissible and intractable variant discovered in South Africa is on the rise in New York City, researchers said on Wednesday. The new variant, known as B.1.526, was first identified in samples collected in New York in November, and by mid-February represented about 12% of cases, researchers at Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons, said on Wednesday. The variant was also described in research published online this week by the California Institute of Technology. Neither study has been reviewed by outside experts. The Columbia researchers said an analysis of publicly available databases did not show a high prevalence of coronavirus variants recently identified in South Africa and Brazil in case samples from New York City and surrounding areas. "Instead we found high numbers of this home-grown lineage," Dr. Anne-Catrin Uhlemann, assistant professor in the division of infectious diseases at Columbia University's College of Physicians and Surgeons, said in a statement. The Columbia study found that B.1.526 shares some worrying characteristics with B.1.351, the variant first identified in South Africa, and P.1., which was first identified in Brazil. Several studies have suggested that those new variants are more resistant… Read full this story
- Former Head Of FDA Raises Concerns About New York COVID Variant And Possible Re-Infection
- New York Covid variant found in the UK as health chiefs detect three cases
- In mutant variants, has the coronavirus shown its best tricks?
- Today’s coronavirus news: More Quebec municipalities to enter lockdown; Almost 2.2 million more vaccine doses coming to Canada
- Case of Brazilian coronavirus variant detected in Utah for first time, CDC data shows
- Today’s coronavirus news: Ontario reports 2,453 new COVID-19 cases; vaccine sign-up for Torontonians aged 70 and older begins
- BioNTech vaccine inventors receive Germany's Knight Commander's Cross
- The Hill's Morning Report - Biden seeks expanded government, tax hikes
- Virus may have fixed number of mutations, say experts
- The Hill's Morning Report - Biden may find zero GOP support for jobs plan
New coronavirus variant identified in New York: researchers have 328 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at February 25, 2021. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.