Published 24 February Share close Share page Copy link About sharing Related Topics Killing of Jamal Khashoggi On 2 October 2018, Jamal Khashoggi, a US-based journalist and critic of Saudi Arabia’s government, walked into the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, where he was murdered. In the months that followed, conflicting narratives emerged over how he died, what happened to his remains, and who was responsible. Saudi officials said the journalist was killed in a “rogue operation” by a team of agents sent to persuade him to return to the kingdom, while Turkish officials said the agents acted on orders from the highest levels of the Saudi government. Who was Jamal Khashoggi? As a prominent Saudi journalist, he covered major stories, including the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan and the rise of the late al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden, for various Saudi news organisations. For decades, the 59-year-old was close to the Saudi royal family and also served as an adviser to the government. But he fell out of favour and went into self-imposed exile in the US in 2017. From there, he wrote a monthly column in the Washington Post in which he criticised the policies of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman,… Read full this story
- Jamal Khashoggi: Everything we know about murdered Saudi journalist 'dismembered by hit squad'
- Boris Johnson given £14,000 free trip to Saudi Arabia paid for by the country's government just days before Jamal Khashoggi was strangled and butchered in a consulate
- Trump Believes Saudi Arabia’s Story That Jamal Khashoggi Died in a Fistfight
- America First! Defiant Trump posts simple two-word tweet after refusing to sanction Saudi Arabia and its crown prince over Jamal Khashoggi's death, insisting he will not risk losing 'hundreds of billions of dollars to Russia and China'
- The Latest: Germany reassessing arms sales to Saudi Arabia
- The Experts Were Wrong About the Middle East
- Trump admits he has copy of the Khashoggi execution audio but doesn't want to listen to it, as he says CIA claims Saudi Crown Prince had journalist killed are 'very premature'
- Caruana Galizia murder: Fighting for justice for my murdered mother
Jamal Khashoggi: All you need to know about Saudi journalist's death have 341 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at February 24, 2021. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.