GENEVA — The world is on the brink of “catastrophic moral failure” in sharing COVID-19 vaccines, the head of the World Health Organization said on Monday, urging countries and manufacturers to spread doses more fairly around the world. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the prospects for equitable distribution were at “serious risk” just as its COVAX vaccine-sharing scheme aimed to start distributing inoculations next month. He noted 44 bilateral deals were signed last year and at least 12 have already been signed this year. “This could delay COVAX deliveries and create exactly the scenario COVAX was designed to avoid, with hoarding, a chaotic market, an uncoordinated response and continued social and economic disruption,” he said. Such a “me-first approach” left the world’s poorest and most vulnerable at risk, he said at the opening of the body’s annual Executive Board meeting in virtual format. “Ultimately these actions will only prolong the pandemic,” he added, urging countries to avoid making the same mistakes made during the H1N1 and HIV pandemics. The global scramble for shots has intensified as more infectious virus variants circulate. Tedros said more than 39 million vaccine doses had been administered in 49 higher-income countries whereas just 25… Read full this story
- Ministers publish long-delayed vaccine report on eve of grilling
- US military puts China and Russia at heart of strategy: Mattis
- UN's rights chief rejects Trump speech as 'script of the 20th century'
- Should Pakistan put a price tag on lines of communication, minister asks US
- Joyce McMillan: World is turning blind eye to its biggest catastrophe
- Study recommendations would make vaccines introduction harder, say campaigners
- Yemen conditions ‘catastrophic’, says UN humanitarian chief
- Could World War 3 actually happen? How North Korea tensions and nuclear weapons could lead to global apocalypse
- Could World War 3 happen? How North Korea nuclear tests and missile launches could lead to global military conflict
- Could World War 3 happen? How North Korea and Kim Jong-un’s nuclear tests could lead to global military conflict
Vaccine nationalism puts world on brink of 'catastrophic moral failure': WHO chief have 318 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at January 19, 2021. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.