“Game Changer,” a one-meter-square (three-foot-square) black-and-white painting of a child playing with a toy nurse as superhero by the artist Banksy sold at Christie’s auction house in London for a record £16.7 million (€19.5 million / $23.2 million) on Tuesday, the most ever paid for a work by the anonymous artist . The painting of a young boy hoisting a caped and masked nurse aloft — Batman and Spiderman relegated to the waste basket behind him — was donated to the University Hospital Southhampton by the artist last May, in appreciation for the service of frontline workers from the UK’s National Health Service (NHS) in fighting the coronavirus. It is said the work arrived with a letter reading: “Thanks for all you’re doing. I hope this brightens the place up a bit, even if it’s only black and white.” Proceeds will promote NHS worker welfare Christie’s says the Southhampton Hospitals Charity will use proceeds from the sale to “fund well-being projects for staff and patients,” and to “distribute to a wider community of healthcare providers both within the NHS and charitable sectors.” “This incredible gift will be invaluable in helping us to focus on promoting and protecting the welfare of… Read full this story
- Leonardo da Vinci's Christ painting sells for record $450M
- Rare Leonardo da Vinci painting sells for record $450M
- Leonardo da Vinci painting sells for more than $450 million, breaking all-time art auction record
- They Lost Their Homes. Now A Reality TV Star Is Selling Them.
- Athenahealth and outspoken CEO Bush face activist with strong record of change
- Photos: New York women who made history
- Town Crier for Aug. 5, 2018
- Suicide rate for farmers is much higher than that of general population. What can be done?
- How Newspapers Lost Their Monopoly On Influencing Voters In The 2017 General Election
- You Can Now Own a Stake in a Warhol or Monet for $20
Banksy superhero nurse painting sells for record price to fund NHS have 303 words, post on www.dw.com at January 23, 2021. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.