SEOUL: COVID-19 restrictions that have significantly limited his public appearances. Warning signals for an economy battered by pandemic-related border closings and natural disasters. The impending departure of a US president who said he "fell in love" with him. As North Korean leader Kim Jong Un grapples with the toughest challenges of his nine-year rule, he's set to open a massive ruling Workers' Party congress next month to try to muster stronger public loyalty to him and lay out new economic and foreign policies. While few question Kim's grip on power, there is still room for things to get worse, especially if the world fails to find a quick way out of the COVID-19 crisis. That would prolong North Korea's self-imposed lockdown and could possibly set conditions for an economic perfect storm that destabilises food and exchange markets and triggers panic among the public. READ: Commentary – North Korea braces itself for one of its toughest winters ever The congress, the first in five years, is the ruling party's top decision-making body. At the 2016 congress, Kim put himself in front, reaffirming his commitment to developing nuclear weapons and announcing an ambitious economic development plan. Five years later, experts say Kim does not have… Read full this story
- North Korea's Kim Jong Un adds title: General secretary of ruling party
- If Kim Jong Un destroyed North Korea's economy to keep Covid-19 out, will sanctions stop him from pursuing nuclear weapons?
- North Korea holds huge military parade as Kim vows nuclear might
- North Korea displays ballistic missiles at parade
- China 'sends team of medics to North Korea' amid questions over ruler Kim Jong-un's health
- What North Korea's Kim Jong Un Has Said About a President Joe Biden
- North Korea says leader Kim Jong-un elected as general secretary of ruling party: KCNA
- North Korea parades new ballistic missiles
- U.S., Seoul Watch for North Korea Military Parade After Kim Promises More Nukes
- Watch: Fox News Hated Obama Talking to Dictators But Loves Trump Meeting With North Korea's Kim Jong Un
Mired in crises, North Korea's Kim Jong Un to open big party meeting have 338 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at December 28, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.