India surged past 10 million coronavirus cases on Saturday, official data showed, the second highest in the world although new infection rates appear to have fallen sharply in recent weeks.The number of cases increased by just over 25,000 in 24 hours, according to the health ministry, while the total number of deaths from the virus in India now stands at 145,136.In September, the vast nation of 1.3 billion people had been recording daily new cases of almost 100,000 and looked on track to surpass the United States as the worst-hit country.But the outbreak has accelerated in the US and appears to have lost momentum in India, despite the country being home to some of the most crowded cities on the planet.The United States, with a population a quarter the size of India’s, has been reporting upwards of 200,000 new cases daily in recent weeks, 10 times as many as India.India’s fatality rate is also considerably lower — less than half that of the US.Residents in the capital New Delhi told AFP they were still worried but were more comfortable than before about leaving their homes.”Obviously the fear levels have come down over time. Initially, it was more scary,” said housewife… Read full this story
- Coronavirus cases in South Korea touches 5,000
- Two coronavirus-infected couples reunited at Nebraska hospital - but officials say this is the LAST time they'll move spouses evacuated from the Diamond Princess cruise ship to be together
- Coronavirus updates: WHO upgrades global virus spread risk to 'very high'
- Coronavirus: Global economy is gripped by rare twin supply-demand shock
- 5 things to know for March 5: 2020 Dems, abortion, coronavirus, Ukraine, Ebola
- Korean Air cabin crew worker tests positive for coronavirus, report says
- Coronavirus updates: US warned of possible outbreak, Italy locks down
- Coronavirus epidemic 'has PEAKED in China' says World Health Organisation - but warn the rest of the world to prepare for a 'potential pandemic'
- Coronavirus updates: US braces for outbreak, South Korea cases climb
- Health officials: Coronavirus spread to the US 'inevitable'
India's coronavirus cases pass 10 million have 326 words, post on government.economictimes.indiatimes.com at December 19, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.