The busiest hurricane season on record in the Atlantic Ocean is now over — maybe, hopefully, fingers crossed — after producing a whopping 30 named storms.“It’s really unbelievable how busy it has been,” Suzana Camargo, a hurricane researcher at Columbia University, told BuzzFeed News.This hurricane season blew through predictions from federal scientists, who were expecting a busy year for storms, setting a string of new records along the way. It was the Atlantic’s most active hurricane season in the satellite era, producing 30 named storms and 13 hurricanes. An average season has 12 named storms and 6 hurricanes.There were so many storms that, for only the second time ever, meteorologists used up the original list of 21 names and then had to name subsequent storms using letters of the Greek alphabet. Storm paths are animated over the entire period of tracking by the National Hurricane Center and vary in opacity according to maximum sustained winds, reaching full opacity at hurricane strength. Names appear when the storm reached tropical storm strength and the storm was officially named. Dates are in US Eastern time. Peter Aldhous / BuzzFeed News / Via NOAA This was also the first year that 12 named storms… Read full this story
- Review: In ‘Hurricane Diane,’ the Perfect Storm Hits Suburbia
- Frozen sharks wash up on Cape Cod beaches as winter storm hits US East Coast
- Hurricane Michael: Storm-damaged counties will weigh needs for BP money
- Before winter storm hits, Binghamton University opens residence halls early for students
- The ACLU Is Ready To Spend $30 Million On The 2020 Election
- El Nino leads to boom hurricane season in Pacific, busts in Atlantic
- UK storm names 2019/20 – why are storms given names and will your name be featured soon?
- Hurricane Statistics Fast Facts
- Florida rescue teams comb debris for Hurricane Michael survivors
- Hurricanes Are Now So Violent That We May Need a New Category
Here Are All 30 — Yes, 30 — Hurricanes And Tropical Storms That Hit The Atlantic In 2020 have 298 words, post on www.buzzfeednews.com at December 3, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.