While global sea levels are rising due to the climate crisis and threatening near-coastal infrastructures, higher temperatures in other areas are having exactly the opposite effect. The water levels are falling and also causing massive problems.Although the consequences are equally serious, however, declining water levels are receiving less attention according to Matthias Prange, Thomas Wilke of the Justus Liebig University in Giessen, and Frank P. Wesselingh of the University of Utrecht and the Naturalis Biodiversity Center Leiden (the Netherlands).“The Caspian Sea can be viewed as representative of many other lakes in the world. Many people are not even aware that an inland lake is dramatically shrinking due to climate change, as our models indicate,” says Matthias Prange. The report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) also failed to mention lakes, and disregarded the social, political, and economic consequences of global warming on the affected regions.“This has to change. We need more studies and a better understanding of the consequences of global warming in this region.” The goal must be to raise awareness of the consequences of climate change for inland seas and lakes so that appropriate strategies can be developed, including approaches for other large lakes and regions… Read full this story
- California will spend $80 million on the Salton Sea. The lake's looming problems will require much more.
- Climate agreement withdrawal: 'Trump just stepped on the gas' toward catastrophe
- Andrew Cuomo pledges state action to address climate change, Al Gore supports
- Down-to-earth rally will educate Harlemites about the effects of climate change
- Climate protesters to ‘Flood’ Wall St. on Monday
- Oroville Dam unprepared for climate change, critics warned years before crisis
- DNR purges climate change from web page
- Lake Mead declines to lowest level in history
- Lake Mead drops to lowest level in history
- Obama at Lake Tahoe: White House pledges support for Salton Sea, geothermal energy
Climate crisis is causing lakes to shrink have 304 words, post on m.hindustantimes.com at December 24, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.