Lawmakers largely attributed severe floods in the central region recently to poor planning of small-scale hydropower plants. Vietnam's lawmakers have urged the government to thoroughly review hydropower planning nationwide for sustainable management following severe flooding and fatal landslides in the central region late last month that are largely believed to stem from poor planning of small-scale hydropower stations. The Ministry of Industry and Trade needs to make all-encompassing assessment of the investment of small- and medium-size hydroelectric plants in the north, the central region, and Central Highlands, lawmakers said at the National Assembly (NA)'s ongoing month-long plenum. They demanded the removal of ineffective projects out of the National Power Plan by 2030. Voices from lawmakers Lawmaker Nguyen Thi Xuan. Photo: Quochoi Lawmaker Nguyen Thi Xuan from Dak Lak province pointed out some consequences resulted from the development of these projects, including drought and flooding when the dams store and discharge water, legalized exploitation of timber under the guise of hydropower, transfer of hydroelectric projects to other investors after exploiting mineral resources. She said the parliament needs to establish task forces to supervise the afforestation while the government has to increase funding the afforestation and add it to the socio-economic development of the mountainous… Read full this story
- Lawmakers engineer removal of 'Dreamer" tuition plan
- New Zealand struggles to enforce gun-control law
- Indiana budget: Lawmakers laud \
- CT lawmakers plan repeal of religious exemptions for vaccines
- POLITICO Playbook: What Biden is planning for June
- Marijuana advocates urge state to help farmers, small businesses
- Gov. Newsom submits revised budget plan with huge surplus
- Police urge patience as bikers honor New Hampshire crash victims
- Japan, SKorea lawmakers meet to ease row over trade, history
- Wife of American imprisoned in Vietnam testifies in D.C.
Vietnam lawmakers urge tightened control over small hydropower planning have 285 words, post on hanoitimes.vn at November 5, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.