POLAND’S Prime Minister has compared the European Union to the former communist dictatorship in a dramatic “Polexit speech” amid a growing row that threatens to break up the bloc. Poland and Hungary’s leaders are embroiled in a bitter row with the EU after vetoing its budget plans over a clause that makes access to funding conditional on respecting the rule of law and European values. The two eastern European countries have accused the EU of “blackmail” in its plans to make access to cash for post-Covid recovery dependent on what they say is “unequal treatment of states”. The countries have vetoed the EU’s €1.1 trillion 2021-2027 budget and a €750 billion pandemic recovery fund over the clause. In a debate on Wednesday night, Mateusz Morawiecki told Polish MPs that the EU was run by a “eurocrat” oligarchy which acts in the interests in nations such as Germany and France. Morawiecki, 52, likened the EU’s approach to the dictatorship Poland had “known well” during its decades under the communist regime, The Times reports.The leader said Poland would not accept being “scolded like a child” and accused the EU of trying to bully weaker members of the bloc. “Without this principle of… Read full this story
- Britain 'will NEVER be free from the EU rules': Nigel Farage blasts Boris Johnson's plans take no deal Brexit off the table in election manifesto as the Brexit Party ramps up plans to contest every seat in election
- Theresa May savages EU for a lack of respect and warns she won’t cave over Brexit after her Chequers plan was mauled in Salzburg
- Brexit secretary Dominic Raab accuses EU chiefs of using Irish border dilemma as part of plot to break up the UK
- How a Slovakian neo-Nazi got elected
- Could populism actually be good for democracy?
- 'You were the future once'
Poland PM compares EU to communist dictatorship in dramatic ‘Polexit speech’ in row that threatens to break up the bloc have 304 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at November 20, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.