Vietnam lost 235 lives and US$739 million in the floods occurred in October. Dozens of foreign countries and organizations have extended their humanitarian support to Vietnam following havoc caused by severe floods in the country's central region late October. Disaster relief has helped thousands of people in need. Photo: Ta Van The donations become priceless assistance to the country at a time when the natural disaster claimed more than 230 lives and caused damage worth roughly VND17 trillion (US$739 million). UN Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) on November 5 announced an assistance of US$3 million to Vietnam for an urgent, life-saving humanitarian response. Norway is among the top five donor countries to CERF with a contribution of US$825.6 million during 2006-2020 period and US$45.8 million in 2020 alone. The United Nations Development Program (UNDP), the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) have announced supporting packages worth more than US$3 million. The EU on October 28 announced an amount of EUR1.3 million (US$1.5 million) for Vietnam. The US Ambassador to Vietnam Daniel J. Kritenbrink on October 17 announced an initial disaster relief fund worth US$100,000 for Vietnam. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced an additional US$2… Read full this story
- Bangladesh seeks India’s support on Rohingyas
- Airbnb asking hosts to take in residents, relief staff
- Airbnb program recruits housing for volcano victims, relief workers
- Salvation Army coordinates relief efforts
- China, Vietnam Use Tourism to Spar over Maritime Sovereignty
- Red Cross plans to fight disasters with fast funding
- The End of 'America First?' Trump's Hawkish New Advisers Suggest Shift in Foreign Policy
- The accidental journalism of Sean Hannity and ‘Fox & Friends’
- EU president tears into Donald Trump, warning US president is bad friend who acts with 'capricious assertiveness'
- Comfort amid crisis: Hundreds of volunteers on front lines providing relief
Disaster relief: When foreign friends show kind support to Vietnam have 294 words, post on hanoitimes.vn at November 10, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.