AstraZeneca is likely to run an additional global trial to assess the efficacy of its COVID-19 vaccine, its chief executive Pascal Soriot was quoted as saying on Thursday after questions over the results from its late-stage study.Instead of adding the trial arm to an ongoing U.S. process, a new study would be run to evaluate a lower dosage that performed better than a full amount in AstraZeneca’s studies, Mr. Soriot was quoted as saying in a Bloomberg News report.“Now that we’ve found what looks like a better efficacy we have to validate this, so we need to do an additional study,” Mr. Soriot was quoted as saying.Mr. Soriot said it would probably be another “international study, but this one could be faster because we know the efficacy is high so we need a smaller number of patients”.The news comes as AstraZeneca faces questions about its success rate that some experts say could hinder its chances of getting speedy U.S. and EU regulatory approval.Several scientists have raised doubts about the robustness of results released on Monday showing the experimental vaccine was 90% effective in a sub-group of trial participants who, by error initially, received a half dose followed by a full… Read full this story
- Coronavirus UPDATES: Breakthrough as Oxford University trial finds human vaccine is safe
- Coronavirus latest: Europe reopens borders for summer travel
- Coronavirus latest: WHO says health workers account for 10% of global infections
- Coronavirus latest: Donald Trump rebukes attack on Anthony Fauci
- Coronavirus UPDATES: UK death toll up 114 - more than double last Friday
- Coronavirus will be here FOREVER like the common cold with local outbreaks and lockdowns around the world the new normal
Coronavirus | AstraZeneca likely to run new global trial on COVID-19 vaccine, says report have 279 words, post on www.thehindu.com at November 26, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.