The UK and China have seen a rapid deterioration in their political and trading relationship, most obviously evidenced by bans being proposed or implemented against Chinese tech firms such Huawei and TikTok. This marks a major departure from what had be described as a “Golden Age” in UK-Sino relations and results from what many observers attribute to intense pressure from the administration of US President Donald Trump. Tom Fowdy, a British researcher, writer, and political analyst who speaks Mandarin, explains why, in his view, the souring of Britain’s relationship with China is detrimental to the UK’s long-term interests and is largely being driven by the US’ desire to maintain “American hegemony” over strategic sectors in the global marketplace. Sputnik: How would you describe the current state of the Anglo-Chinese political and economic relationship? Mr Fowdy: Once heralded as a “Golden Age” and “China’s partner in the west”, relations between the two countries have declined considerably in recent months owing to the government’s COVID-19 blame game , pressure from the United States to take a tougher line and controversies surrounding Hong Kong and Xinjiang. Prior to this, Boris Johnson was a strong advocate of growing economic ties with China, expressing interest… Read full this story
- Chinese Experts Turn To ‘White Trash’ Book to Understand Trump
- DHS Hired a Policy Analyst With a Long History of Radical Anti-Immigrant Writings
- The Morning Download: Firms Focus on Tools That Explain AI Decisionmaking
- Fentanyl Smuggled From China Blamed In Deaths Of Thousands Of Americans
- Sen. Cruz: ‘The Chinese Communist Party Is Waging an Information Warfare Campaign to Undermine American Democracy’
- US sanctions Chinese military over Russia
- Why US top court is more political than UK's
- How the ‘Coolpose’ Undermines Male/Female Relationships within the Black Community
- Americans Want to Believe Jobs Are the Solution to Poverty. They’re Not.
- Chinese Media: Trump Election Allegations 'Crazy Talk,' 'Creative Strategy'
Desire for 'Unbridled American Dominance' is Undermining UK-Chinese Relations, Analyst Explains have 310 words, post on sputniknews.com at October 9, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.