More than 400 care home residents were dying a day from coronavirus at the height of Britain’s crisis, analysis shows. Fatalities breached this level for 11 days in a row in mid-April after spiking by five-fold at the start of the month. Analysis of medical records by the PA news agency found care home deaths rose from 93 on April 1 to a record-high of 490 on April 17. There were more than 3,000 fatalities involving the disease in a single week leading up to that date. Separate Office for National Statistics figures shows more than 1,000 care home residents were dying per day from all causes, including Covid. Very few care home residents or staff were swabbed for the infection at the time because tests were reserved for the sickest hospital patients and NHS workers. It means thousands of cases went undiagnosed as the virus raced through the social care sector. Experts said the findings again highlights how care homes were thrown to the wolves during the UK’s Covid response. More than 400 care home residents were dying a day from coronavirus at the height of Britain’s crisis, analysis shows Separate Office for National Statistics figures suggest up to 1,000… Read full this story
- Lockdown's lethal toll laid bare: 50,000 children see surgery postponed, treatments for strokes plunge by almost 50%, and one in FIVE people were hit with depression in just one month as devastating effect of coronavirus restrictions are revealed
- Coronavirus news from the Bay Area: Sept. 10-11
- New leaked SAGE 'worst case scenario' predicts 85,000 COVID second wave deaths and argues a lockdown will be needed until MARCH - as latest Imperial study says 100,000 Brits are now being infected every day
- What's the TRUTH behind England's second wave? Imperial report warns of 100,000 daily cases and says the outbreak is doubling every nine days — but Cambridge experts estimate the figures are 55,000 and 17 days
- Boris will FORCE Greater Manchester into Tier Three lockdown after refusing to meet Andy Burnham's demands for £65m bailout - as ministers claim Mayor turned down 'generous' £60m deal over 'pride'
- How UK is already OUT-PACING SAGE's 'worst case scenario' projections of 85,000 Covid-19 deaths in second wave - with infections, fatalities and hospital admissions all higher than top scientists feared
- No masks for Ma'am: Everyone that the monarch, 94, and William meet at Porton Down is tested for Covid so they can shun masks on her first engagement outside a royal residence for seven months
Over 400 people a DAY were dying in care homes at the peak of Britain's coronavirus crisis, study finds have 395 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at September 4, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.