A 10-year-old boy has become Covid-19’s latest fatality on Guam, as the island struggles to rein in an outbreak that threatens to overwhelm its public health system. The boy, who had underlying health conditions, died on Sunday night at the US Naval Hospital, 10 days after contracting the virus. He is the 26th person to die from Covid on Guam. More than 1,890 infections have been confirmed – 249 of them US military service members – on an island of just 166,000 people. Testing has found Guam’s Covid-positive rate at 10%. The governor of Guam, Lou Leon Guerrero, offered her condolences to the boy’s family in their “immeasurable grief”, and said “this island grieves with you”. “The loss of a young child is different: children are innocent. “When that light is put out too soon … we have all lost. As a mother and a grandmother, losing a child seems especially senseless. But that’s because this virus isn’t reasonable, it won’t discriminate, it won’t get lazy, it will not grow tired, divisive or complacent. It will take what it can and it’s our job to protect each other.” Leon Guerrero said the battle against Covid in Guam “is the fight… Read full this story
- Parents of boy who died aged 10 after being shunned at school when it was revealed he contracted HIV from contaminated blood say haemophiliacs 'feared for their lives' while the government 'did nothing'
- Boy, 2, dies and three more are sickened by E. coli bacteria encountered at San Diego fair
- Hong Kong Unrest Threatens Mental Health Epidemic Among Territory's Young People, Advocates Warn
- Here's My Medical Opinion: The Public Charge Rule Threatens the Health of Every Single Person in America
- Probe into death of three-year-old boy who died at 'super hospital'
- Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo continues to spiral as death toll reaches 319
- WHO panel meets to debate declaring Ebola an international emergency after two died as disease spreads from to Uganda
- Deadly dengue outbreak overwhelms central Vietnam
- E-cigarettes may damage blood vessels in the BRAIN, scientists find as they call on countries to BAN the controversial vaping devices
- Five-month-old boy dies days after hopes of a life-saving liver transplant fell through
Guam boy, 10, dies as Covid outbreak threatens country's health system have 359 words, post on www.theguardian.com at September 14, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.