Workers mine in Iga Barriere, in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. Around 50 feared dead in a mine collapse in the region. AFP/VNA File Photo BUKAVU, DR Congo — About 50 people are feared dead after a gold mine collapsed in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo following torrential rain, local authorities said on Saturday. The accident in the makeshift mine occurred on Friday in the town of Kamituga, in South Kivu province. Provincial governor Theo Ngwabidje Kasi deplored “the tragic deaths of 50 people, most of them young”. However, Kamituga mayor Alexandre Bundya said “we are not yet sure of the exact number” of victims. A local resident who was at the scene, Jean Nondo, said that “according to witnesses, there are more than 50 dead. There is only one survivor.” He said a river close to the mine had flooded after torrential rain. “Water went into the three tunnels. When people tried to get out, there was no way as the water was flowing strongly, with high pressure,” he said. Bundya blamed “soil subsidence caused by torrential rain” for the accident. The mayor decreed a two-day mourning period and called on local residents to help extract the bodies from the ground. Accidents… Read full this story
- Hollyoaks’ Maxine Minniver left for dead as she collapses after drinking dodgy vodka
- EastEnders viewers heartbroken as Dr Legg collapses after door is painted with giant swastika
- Italian nun brings life in DR Congo
- Obama Lashes Out At ‘Powerful Voices’ Using ‘Fear And Frustration’ To ‘Collapse’ Gun Control Efforts
- Multiple feared dead after van plows into pedestrians in Toronto
- Massive Typhoon Strikes Philippines, Up to 10,000 Feared Dead
- The Walking Dead Producers Game To Explore Negan’s Backstory
- Fear The Walking Dead Season 4 Goes Old-School With First Poster
- Fear the Walking Dead Season 4 Trailer is Here!
- Fear the Walking Dead Season 4 Teaser: A New World to Fear
Around 50 feared dead in DR Congo mine collapse have 303 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at September 12, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.