Hong Kong (CNN)The United States government has officially suspended its extradition treaty with Hong Kong over concerns that the Chinese government’s new national security law is eroding the city’s autonomy. In a statement Wednesday, the US State Department announced Washington would be suspending or eliminating three treaties with the former British colony, including “the surrender of fugitive offenders, the transfer of sentenced persons, and reciprocal tax exemptions on income.” The US government accused Beijing of undermining “the high degree of autonomy that (the Chinese government) promised to the United Kingdom and the people of Hong Kong for 50 years under the UN-registered Sino-British Joint Declaration.” US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on his official Twitter that the agreements had been suspended because the ruling Chinese Communist Party had chosen “to crush the freedoms and autonomy of the people of Hong Kong.” The Chinese Communist Party chose to crush the freedoms and autonomy of the people of Hong Kong. Because of the CCP’s actions, we are terminating or suspending three of our bilateral agreements with the territory.— Secretary Pompeo (@SecPompeo) August 19, 2020 Since its handover from Britain to China in 1997, Hong Kong has enjoyed a special trade and… Read full this story
- Anger at UK spy tech sales to Hong Kong
- Hong Kong 'Umbrella' movement leader freed from prison, says 'no regret'
- Hong Kong dismisses U.S. criticism over human rights
- First coronavirus death in Hong Kong as four more cities are locked down
- Coronavirus threatens to fuel discontent in Hong Kong
- Airlines suspend flights due to coronavirus outbreak
- China Locks Down 11 Million in the Ground Zero City of Wuhan as New Coronavirus Shows Up in U.S.
- Mavericks owner Mark Cuban's shocked reaction as he learns the NBA is suspending its season indefinitely due to coronavirus - before the billionaire vows to pay his hourly workers throughout the hiatus
- Apple reopens stores in China but suspends 'Today at Apple' sessions in the US and tells employees not to offer Apple Watch or AirPods try-ons due to coronavirus concerns
- Closed due to coronavirus: Updated list of events, sports, and entertainment canceled amid COVID-19 concerns
US suspends extradition treaty with Hong Kong due to concerns over city's eroding autonomy have 348 words, post on edition.cnn.com at August 20, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.