MADRID: Spain reported 3,715 new coronavirus infections in the past 24 hours, the health ministry said on Wednesday (Aug 19), marking a new daily record since the country came out of a strict lockdown in late June. Madrid bore the brunt of the increase, logging 1,535 new cases, followed by the Basque Country and Aragon regions with around 470 new infections each. Fourteen people died across Spain in the same period, down from 21 the previous day. In the past seven days, 131 people have died from the virus, the ministry said. Cumulative cases, which include antibody tests on patients who may have already recovered, rose to 370,867. Despite mandatory use of masks across the country, EU data show Spain has the highest total tally of cases in western Europe as well as the highest incidence of cases per 100,000 people in the past 14 days. Scrambling to control the outbreak, regional authorities have begun to reimpose restrictions on nightlife and public transport that had been lifted weeks ago when infections had slowed to a trickle. Health ministry officials have attributed the sharp rise in cases to increased testing, and repeatedly said the country is not yet experiencing a second wave… Read full this story
- Wall Street slips from records as investors lock in year-end gains
- Energica Reports Record Sales For First Half Of 2018
- Amazon gain leads S&P 500 after reporting 'record' holiday sales
- Does Lars von Trier’s ‘vomitive’ new film spell the end for provocative cinema?
- Anthony Rendon scouting report: Why Angels' new star third baseman is primed for long-term success
- Disturbing moment a group of seven teens launch a savage attack on Orthodox Jew walking in Brooklyn - the 14th incident of anti-Semitic violence recorded in New York in four weeks
- Unidos Podemos: Spain’s leftwing alliance hoping to end political impasse
- Robert Kraft Could Face Felony Charge In Relation To Prostitution Case
- Recovery of property, detection of cases go up in Prakasam
- Year 2020: Here are 10 interesting things we bet you didn’t know about New Year’s Eve
Spain reports record 3,715 new COVID-19 cases since end of lockdown have 325 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at August 19, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.