Nepal looks forward to a meaningful bilateral cooperation, Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli told his Indian counterpart Narendra Modi in a phone conversation on Saturday, the first contact at the highest level between the two sides since a a border row hit their ties. Oli called Modi to congratulate him on India’s 74th Independence Day, and expressed his appreciation for the Indian leader’s renewed priority to the neighbourhood, as spelt out in his Independence Day address. The two leaders last spoke on April 10 to discuss the fight against the Covid-19 pandemic. In May, Nepal protested against the opening of a road by India to Lipulekh on the border with Tibet, and ties were hit further when Kathmandu published a new political map that depicted the Kalapani area, controlled by India, as a Nepalese territory. Saturday’s phone conversation, which was widely anticipated in diplomatic circles, provided an opportunity for the two sides to clear the air and take forward the process of addressing their differences, people familiar with developments said on condition of anonymity. The conversation also came two days before a meeting in Kathmandu of the India-Nepal joint oversight mechanism, a body that oversees the implementation of development projects… Read full this story
- Modi’s Africa Tour: Where China is gung-ho and India is treading softly
- After Oli’s Visit: The bottomline is India has to deliver on its promises expeditiously
- PM arrives in Saudi Arabia; to attend key economic forum, hold bilateral talks with King Salman
- Why Modi's
- Mind And Heart: For boost in India-Vietnam economic ties, the two must go beyond strategic imperatives
- Two plus two tango: Despite President Trump’s hollering, US-India ties have actually thrived on his watch
- Talks on, talks off: Modi, a prisoner of the past, is afraid of peace
- Voting for Modi again? 6 questions every Indian should ask
- Imran offers talks, but Modi should be wary of Pakistan’s doublespeak
- Bhagwat talks glasnost but are Sangh footsoldiers listening?
Nepal PM Oli calls Modi, talks about boosting ties have 319 words, post on m.hindustantimes.com at August 15, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.