(CNN)The Supreme Court on Wednesday cleared the way for the Trump administration to expand exemptions for employers who have religious or moral objections to complying with the Affordable Care Act’s contraceptive mandate. The 7-2 ruling reverses a lower court decision that had blocked Trump’s move nationwide. The ruling is a win for President Donald Trump, who has vowed to act aggressively to protect religious liberty as well as the Little Sisters of the Poor, a Roman Catholic religious order for women who, along with the Trump administration, asked the Court to step in. The case required the justices to balance concerns for women’s health care against claims of religious liberty. The law requires that employer-provided health insurance plans cover birth control as a preventive service at no cost. READ: Supreme Court says Trump can weaken Obamacare’s contraceptive mandate Justice Clarence Thomas, who wrote the majority opinion, wrote that the justices held that the government “had the statutory authority to craft that exemption, as well as the contemporaneously issued moral exemption.” Read More Thomas commended the Little Sisters of the Poor for their efforts. “For the past seven years, they—like many other religious objectors who have participated in the litigation and… Read full this story
- Supreme Court verdict is a blow to Dalit, Adivasi rights
- A mix-up over records has kept this justice of the peace from holding court. What happened?
- Court rules British woman who joined ISIS as schoolgirl can't return to UK
- Rex Tillerson's State Department Is Putting America in Danger, Say Alarmed Senators
- Strong words: UK court rubbishes Katju’s comparison of Modi govt to Hitler
- Nepal political crisis accelerates, PM K P Sharma Oli ready to face Parliament says officials
- Inside the Other Controversy Headed for CPAC: The 'Roe v. Wade' Movie
- Bill would strip pension for president convicted of felony
- The BJP's Dalit MP who wants Modi to walk the talk
- 'Democracy in India is being killed very fast'
Supreme Court says Trump can weaken Obamacare contraceptive mandate have 321 words, post on edition.cnn.com at July 8, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.