US sheriff Mike Pompeo rode into town last week, telling whoppers as is his wont. The secretary of state – Donald Trump’s top enforcer – accused Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the World Health Organization chief, of cutting a secret pre-pandemic deal with China. Because of this, “you’ve got dead Britons,” he claimed. Pompeo offered no proof. It was an outrageous smear. But Tedros is a wanted man in Washington. He verbally gunned him down. Pompeo justified January’s real-life assassination of Iran’s Gen Qassem Suleimani by saying he posed an “imminent” threat to US interests. Declaring the killing unlawful, the UN investigator, Agnès Callamard, ruled this month there was not a shred of evidence to support this. Iran hawk Pompeo had reportedly urged the hit for months. It was he who finally convinced Trump to order the killing. Pompeo was caught out again last year before Trump’s impeachment. He initially denied detailed knowledge of the phone call in which Trump tried to persuade Ukraine’s president to investigate the son of his White House rival, Joe Biden, saying he had not read the transcript. It later emerged Pompeo had listened in on the call. Democrats accused him of obstructing justice. Speaking at Texas… Read full this story
- New DOJ task force is sure to solve American cybersecurity problems
- A day after back-tracking, Trump defends summit performance
- President Obama's full speech in South Africa
- Seth Rich leaked the DNC emails – they were not hacked
- A Playwright’s LSD Trip Becomes a Psychedelic Journey
- Unlocked And Loaded: Families Confront Dementia And Guns
- Tech lawsuits: Is it time for a "U.S. District Court of Technology" with its own bench?
- The beauty of a world without privacy
- Why Milton Berle would love the Microsoft trial
Forget Putin, it's meddling by America's evangelical enforcer that should scare us have 287 words, post on www.theguardian.com at July 26, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.