Speaking to a largely maskless crowd at Mount Rushmore, President Donald Trump said Friday that protesters have waged a merciless campaign to wipe out our history amid demonstrations against racial injustice and police brutality. The sharp rebuke in a holiday address to mark the nation’s independence follows weeks of protests across the nation, sparked by the Memorial Day killing of George Floyd by police in Minneapolis. Also read: George Floyd death | Four Minneapolis police officers face charges Some demonstrators have also destroyed or damaged Confederate monuments and statues honouring those who have benefited from slavery. This movement is openly attacking the legacies of every person on Mount Rushmore,” Trump said, adding that some on the political left hope to defame our heroes, erase our values, and indoctrinate our children.” Fireworks light the sky at Mount Rushmore National Memorial near Keystone, S.D., after President Donald Trump spoke, on July 3, 2020. | Photo Credit: AP His speech, intended to rev up his conservative base, comes as Trump has seen his standing slump over his handling of the pandemic and response to protests and unrest around the country. With four months until the election, Mr. Trump’s hopes for a second… Read full this story
- Donald Trump says he doesn't know who Proud Boys are after group jumps on his "stand by" debate comment
- Donald Trump says "I condemn the Proud Boys" after Republican backlash
- Donald Trump says "only thing" he has in common with Obama is "honor of firing Jim Mattis"
- Donald Trump Says US Will Be 'Paid Back' by Mexico for Wall
- Donald Trump says California recall election "probably rigged" by Democrats
- Donald Trump believes his head would be on Mount Rushmore - if he was a Democrat
- Full Transcript: Read Mitt Romney's anti-Donald Trump speech
- Donald Trump keeps a small statue of himself in his Mar-a-Lago office
- President Trump Says Niece Mary's Best-Selling Memoir About Their Family Is 'Stupid' & 'Vicious'
- Donald Trump is no John McCain, said protesters outside Trump Golf Club Saturday
At Rushmore, Donald Trump says protesters seek to ‘defame’ heroes have 325 words, post on www.thehindu.com at July 4, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.