In my commentary at the June 9th Anoka County board meeting, (minute 3:50) in the wake of the horrific death of George Floyd I encourage us all to get uncomfortable. Because having honest conversations about race and racism is uncomfortable. And I would like to start with myself. Since that board meeting, I’ve gotten feedback and criticisms from others about my identification as a person of color. I want to be clear that I do not begrudge this kind of questioning. I welcome it. Because like it or not, race and identity today has become a two-way street, where what one personally identifies with, may or may not be what the outside world agrees with. Throw in that I am now an elected official with certain expectations placed on me, I fully accept that I have stepped into the arena. I want to talk about my own lifetime struggle of trying to reconcile my racial identity for as long as I can remember—personally—in hopes we can talk about it publicly. When it comes to racial identity, I have never had a solid place to land. Instead, I have always hovered in-between. I was born in Seoul, Korea and came home… Read full this story
- This Summer, Opera Grapples With Race
- Overdue overture: NASCAR gives Scott family 1963 race trophy
- Boston Mayor’s Race: Meet The Candidates
- Artificial Intelligence can guess a person's race with up to 99% accuracy just by looking at their X-rays or other medical scans
- RuPaul’s Drag Race season 12 queens ranked from meh to yaaas after Snatch Game
- Drag Race Canada star Ilona Verley claims they were told ‘not to discuss trans identity’ on series
- Drag Race’s Gigi Goode comes out as trans and speaks about her transition: ‘Who I’m supposed to be is a trans non-binary person’
- Black people who oppose critical race theory are being erased | Opinion
- 'Stop asking me that': Questions about race and identity that need to be retired
- How Should I Respond to Creepy Questions About My Friend’s Race?
What I've Always Wanted to Tell You About Race Identity have 333 words, post on patch.com at June 15, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.