Seattle blues singer Lady A had just gotten off of work on Thursday when a bombardment of phone messages from friends, fans and producers came in all shouting the same thing: Her name had been stolen. Earlier that day, Grammy-winning country trio Lady Antebellum — whose name had been criticized for its associations with romanticized ideas of the pre-war, slavery-ridden American South — announced they were changing their name to Lady A in light of a heightened national conversation about racism. Lady Antebellum made the changes swiftly on social media and distribution platforms including Spotify and Apple Music, and the group's website also announced their rechristening as Lady A. But according to Seattle's Lady A, neither the band nor any members of their team reached out to her before making the change. This Lady A — a 61-year-old black woman whose real name is Anita White — has been playing the blues under the name for more than 20 years. She began singing as a gospel performer at church and started going by Lady A for karaoke nights in the Eighties. She's released multiple albums with the name, and on top of her day job working with Seattle Public Utilities,… Read full this story
- What's with all the white-boy blues singers?
- From Lady Gaga To Keira Knightley: Who Wore What At Golden Globes 2019
- EU election: Turnout highest in 20 years
- VA Tried To Pay $10 Million For 25 Parking Spaces, And 20-Year Official’s Excuse Is That He’s New
- The ECB: 20 years of protecting the euro
- Black Wednesday 20 years on: how the day unfolded
- Dad who screamed 'I'm going to crack your head like an Easter egg' while 'beating ice-addict to death' after the creep broke into his baby daughter's bedroom faces 20 years jail
- The Masked Singer reveals true identity of Poodle who departs Fox show after singing Time After Time
- Lady Gaga delivers Frank Sinatra standards during surprise performance at jazz club in Hollywood
- 'I loved rock'n'roll - but then we found the blues'
Lady Antebellum Is Now ‘Lady A.’ But So Is a Blues Singer Who’s Used the Name for 20 Years have 327 words, post on www.rollingstone.com at June 12, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.