By JECINTA MWIRIGI More by this Author While cattle and sheep graze, goats browse and indigenous chicken scavenge for food, pigs are legally raised in confinement as a control measure against African Swine Fever (ASF).The simple stomach nature of pigs makes it necessary to feed them on commercial feeds that consume 60-80 per cent of production costs.Therefore, one needs affordable and highly nutritious feeds that supplement the commercial ones to raise profit in pig farming. Such feeds include sweet potato tubers and vines, which can be used fresh, dried or fermented into silage.In addition to conserving the otherwise highly perishable tubers and leaves during peak production for use when there is scarcity of feeds, ensiling enhances the quality of the feed material by converting nitrogen to protein. Sweet potato silage has been used successfully to raise pigs in many countries. Pig feedEnergy and protein are the main nutrient components in a pig’s diet. Grains such as maize, barley, wheat, sorghum and oats have traditionally supplied energy, while protein has come from meals produced from oilseeds such as soybeans and canola. Related Stories Beauty of storing fodder My livestock provide my fuel Do’s and Don’ts of running a productive dairy farm… Read full this story
- SPECIAL THANKSGIVING ISSUE / POTATOES, ETC.
- America's Got Talent: Sofia Vergara makes debut as new judge on season 15 of NBC talent show
- Sweet Modak
- Asda’s Christmas food includes spicy pigs in blankets and reindeer crumpets
- Tesco has revealed its Christmas range and it includes giant pigs in blankets
- Rachel Roddy's recipe for frying pan peppers and potatoes
- A sweet life of food and song
- When life gives you misery, make a pot of soup
- Chameleon By the Name Of Quince / Inedible when raw, it turns rosy and sweet after cooking
- Stressed about getting your child back into a 'normal' routine? Expert reveals how making subtle changes to their diet and sleep pattern NOW will help prepare them for returning to school
Making sweet silage for pigs from potato vines have 323 words, post on www.nation.co.ke at May 8, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.