US-based political analyst Don Debar reflects on the latest US moves towards China and the WHO amid the coronavirus pandemic. Sputnik: US President Donald Trump has shared a letter in his Twitter account in which he threatened to make the WHO funding freeze permanent and “reconsider our membership” in the organisation if the agency “does not commit to major substantive improvements within the next 30 days”. How likely is it that the US will permanently freeze its funding to WHO? Don Debar: It’s quite possible that they will not just freeze it, even roll it back. You know, there are several things at play around this question. First is that Trump’s base, the core Republican voters have always had an antipathy towards the United Nations and, you know, the institutions of the United Nations, the World Health Organization is, of course, you know, one of the children of the United Nations. And even back in the 50s, they loved candidates that were running on the Republican Party platform, (calling for the White House to) get the U.S. out of the U.N. and the U.N. out of the U.S. So there is a latent sentiment in that direction that he’s playing to… Read full this story
- Steely-eyed Queen is seen for first time since Prince Harry announced he and Meghan Markle will quit the Royal Family as crisis talks with Prince Charles and Prince William continue
- 9 smart money moves to improve your finances and make you richer in 2020
- Golden Globes gets political as stars voice their support for Australia amid bushfire crisis, Joaquin Phoenix echoes Ricky Gervais by calling out Hollywood hypocrisy in f-bomb rant, and Patricia Arquette slams Trump
- How Millennials can invest with elite money managers -- without breaking the bank
- Tennis great Pat Cash hits out at Scott Morrison over bushfire crisis
- The turmoil of today's world: leading writers respond to the refugee crisis
- The war on ‘prediabetes’ could be a boon for pharma—but is it good medicine?
- Macron Says EU Faces Migration Crisis as Merkel Gives Up on Finding Solution
- GPs to stop prescribing omega-3 oils, gluten-free food and cough medicine
- Gold is Money: Why US Trying to Nix Yellow Metal's Use in Global Transactions
'If We've No Solution to Crisis, It's Cos We Spent Money on Bombs Instead of Medicine' – Analyst have 369 words, post on sputniknews.com at May 22, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.