ATLANTA (AP) — Civil rights icon and Georgia Rep. John Lewis is backing Joe Biden for presidentprospective Democratic nominee “We need his voice,” the 80-year-old Lewis told reporters ahead of the campaign’s Tuesday announcement. He described the 77-year-old Biden as “a man of courage, a man of great conscience, a man of faith,” and said the former vice president would “help us regain our way as a nation.” A 17-term Atlanta congressman, Lewis is battling pancreatic cancersocial distancing guidelinescoronavirus pandemic Lewis tailored a message to younger black voters who’ve not backed Biden with the same enthusiasm as older African Americans. “I would tell young people the story of Selma and Montgomery and Mississippi,” Lewis said, remembering being beaten nearly to death by Alabama state troopers as he marched for voting rights in 1965. “If we fail to vote, we don’t count. The vote is the most powerful, nonviolent tool we have in society, and we must use it.” Lewis did not name President Donald Trump but said pointedly, “We have a choice.” Black voters have anchored Biden’s primary coalition, starting with overwhelming support in South Carolinainsurmountable delegate lead Biden’s team once viewed Georgia’s March 24 contest as a likely knockout… Read full this story
- Donald Trump Jr. Claims Joe Biden Is 'All Of The Things They Say' About His Family: 'The Irony Is So Incredible'
- Donald Trump Jr blasts Joe Biden, asks why he didn’t ‘cure cancer’ in last 50 years
- Ben Shapiro asks why Obama can tweet about economy, but not back Joe Biden
- Pro-Trump super PAC hits Biden with new Spanish-language ad in Nevada
- Pelosi: 'I'm not counting Joe Biden out'
- Trump’s Obsession With Joe Biden Takes a New Turn
- One Last Trip With Joe Biden
- Flailing Joe Biden unveils new ad saying 'This is only getting started' after he falls to disastrous FIFTH place in New Hampshire and Bernie Sanders becomes Democratic frontrunner
- Solomon: These once-secret memos cast doubt on Joe Biden's Ukraine story
- Cher Throws Her Support Behind Joe Biden, Plus Every 2020 Presidential Candidate Celebrities Have Supported So Far
John Lewis, once Trump target, backs Joe Biden for president have 338 words, post on apnews.com at April 7, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.