NASA has announced that SpaceX will launch astronauts into orbit from US soil next month after nine years of complete dependence on Russia.SpaceX plans to end the drought by sending astronauts Dough Hurley and Bob Behnken to the International Space station on 27 May.Lift off will be from Florida’s Kennedy Space Center on a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket at 4.32pm local time.It marks the first time a rocket will carry astronauts into orbit from the US since NASA’s last space shuttle flight in 2011.Mr Hurley served as pilot on the last shuttle mission and will be the spacecraft commander for SpaceX’s Dragon crew capsule. Advertisement “On May 27, @NASA will once again launch American astronauts on American rockets from American soil!”, NASA administrator Jim Bridenstine tweeted on Friday.It is too soon to know whether the coronavirus pandemic will prompt crowd restrictions at the launch. More from Nasa Coronavirus: NASA satellites flown from staff homes during lockdown Coronavirus: NASA employee tests positive for COVID-19 NASA: Space lettuce is just as nutritious as Earth lettuce Record-breaking NASA astronaut Christina Koch ‘felt like a baby’ after 11 months in space Two defunct satellites in near miss over Pennsylvania International Space Station: Astronauts repair… Read full this story
- NASA successfully launches space weather satellite ICON after two years of delays
- NASA reveals its most sophisticated space suit yet that its astronauts will wear on moon mission in five years
- Largest fleet of satellites ever launched into space: Private firm has sent 146 satellites into orbit to photograph Earth for spy agencies and farmers
- Italy's first ISS astronaut sends UN a message from space station pleading for reduction in carbon emissions because there's 'no place like home'
- RIP iTunes: Apple kills its music-subscription service after 16 years in latest Mac update and replaces it with three separate apps for music, films and podcasts
- The cutest keychain pocket watch to understand time
- Memory Foam History...Astronauts, Racehorses and Bed Sores
- NASA and SpaceX hope for manned mission to ISS in early 2020
- Around our 50 states
- Amazing space-themed events in Leicester this half term
Astronaut launches to take place in the US for first time in nine years have 339 words, post on news.sky.com at April 18, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.