TOKYO (Reuters) – Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe ordered a two-week quarantine for visitors from China and South Korea on Thursday and delayed a visit by Chinese President Xi Jinping originally planned for April in response to a widening coronavirus crisis. People wearing face masks, following an outbreak of the coronavirus, ride their bicycles past an under-construction site of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics villages in Tokyo, Japan, March 5, 2020. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha Abe’s measures, announced in a briefing with reporters, came after weeks of criticism he was failing to tackle the outbreak head-on and coincided with the country’s biggest one-day increase in new infections. The government also insisted the outbreak will not disrupt the Tokyo Olympics which begin in late July. Public broadcaster NHK confirmed cases had risen to at least 1,056 nationwide by early Friday morning, 20 more than the previous day, with new infections reported across the country, including seven in Nagoya in central Japan and the first in the western prefecture of Shiga. Twelve people have died from the disease in Japan, according to the health ministry. Abe said it was “essential” to take “flexible protection measures” at ports and airports. Under the new measures, most of… Read full this story
- What do the recent Japan, China, South Korea talks mean?
- Japan accepts talks with South Korea on WTO arbitration
- Japan, China, South Korea aim for common ground
- China, South Korea pledge to mend ties, hold talks
- China, South Korea leaders meet ahead of trilateral summit
- China-South Korea free trade pact is 'no game changer'
- China, South Korea seek to steer North from nuclear path
- China, South Korea trade deal effectively in the bag
- South Korea confirms 4th swine fever case in a week
- Japan not inviting South Korea to naval review amid dispute
Japan to quarantine visitors from China, South Korea; insists Olympics on track have 286 words, post on www.reuters.com at March 5, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.