No single country is adequately protecting children’s health, their environment and their futures, according to a report released recently by a commission convened by the World Health Organization, UNICEF and The Lancet. Illustrative image The report, A Future for the World’s Children?, finds that the health and future of every child and adolescent worldwide is under immediate threat from ecological degradation, climate change and exploitative marketing practices that push heavily processed fast food, sugary drinks, alcohol and tobacco at children. “From the climate crisis to obesity and harmful commercial marketing, children around the world are having to contend with threats that were unimaginable just a few generations ago,” said Henrietta Fore, UNICEF Executive Director. “It is time for a rethink on child health, one which places children at the top of every government’s development agenda and puts their well-being above all considerations.” Intensifying climate change threatens every child’s future The report includes a new global index of 180 countries, comparing performance on child flourishing, including measures of child survival and well-being, such as health, education, and nutrition; sustainability, with a proxy for greenhouse gas emissions, and equity, or income gaps. [Top & Bottom 10 countries; Interactive Index, Full Global Index on… Read full this story
- G7 energy ministers fail to agree statement on climate change: Italy
- State media in China boasted that their healthy life expectancy is now better than in the US — and they’re right
- The world still isn’t meeting its climate goals
- World Bank provides US$1 billion standby facility for Indonesia disaster relief
- No death and an enhanced life: Is the future transhuman?
- Sun Life invites people to start living an active and healthy life to prevent diabetes
- World Heart Day: ‘Power your life’
- Nurturing talents can make children better citizens of the future
- World is losing the battle against climate change — Macron
- No children because of climate change? Some people are considering it
World failing to provide children with a healthy life and a climate fit for their future have 313 words, post on vietnamnet.vn at February 20, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.