Warnings of fierce winds and storm surges for western Europe, as of 1400 GMT on Feb 9 AFP Swathes of northern France were placed on orange alert with people advised to avoid the coast due to possible storm surges. Britain, which bore the brunt of the storm Sunday with widespread flooding across the north of the country, remained on alert with the Meteorological Office warning of strong winds, heavy rain and snow. “While Storm Ciara is clearing away, that doesn’t mean we’re entering a quieter period of weather,” Met Office meteorologist Alex Burkill said. “It’s going to stay very unsettled,” he said, warning “blizzards aren’t out of the question”. Transport was disrupted across the country with planes, trains and ferries cancelled or delayed after Ciara brought torrential rains and hurricane-force winds. The highest wind speed recorded was 150km per hour in the northwest Welsh village of Aberdaron. At Wet Sleddale Reservoir in northwest England’s Lake District national park, more than 150 millimetres of rain fell in a 24-hour period. More than 170 flood warnings remained in place early Monday, mostly across northern England and along the southern coast. The West Yorkshire towns of Hebden Bridge and neighbouring Mytholmroyd were among… Read full this story
- UK weather – Britain to be hit with freezing temperatures as ‘significant cold’ weather system sweeps across Europe
- UK weather forecast: Met Office issues yellow warnings as Storm Aiden to batter Britain
- Weatherwatch: Melting Arctic ice triggers winter storms, study finds
- UK weather – Met Office warns ‘worst is yet to come’ from Storm Alex with amber warnings for flooding & travel chaos
- Ophelia: Where is the storm going to hit?
- Guide To Europe’s 5 Most Famous Gothic Cathedrals
- UK-EU trade faces major disruption even with deal, say auditors
- 'Anti-corona' extremists try to storm German parliament
- Europe must go beyond science to survive Covid crisis, says WHO
- Kent Border is 'Punishment' for Brexit, Driver Says, as UK Faces Mass Disruption at Port of Dover
Transport disrupted across Europe as Storm Ciara sweeps in have 318 words, post on www.vir.com.vn at February 11, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.