The world’s largest mobile phone showcase, Mobile World Congress (MWC), has been cancelled over coronavirus concerns, organisers have confirmed.The GSM Association (GSMA) said it had become “impossible” for the event to go ahead as planned in Barcelona. BT, Facebook, LG, Nokia, Sony and Vodafone were among the high-profile exhibitors to have pulled out of the annual event, citing coronavirus fears.But Spain’s health minister, Salvador Illa, urged people to remain calm.Earlier on Wednesday, Mr Illa said people should “trust in the Spanish health system” and “take decisions based on scientific evidence”.MWC was due to be held in Barcelona on 24-27 February. More than 100,000 people usually attend the annual event, about 6,000 of whom travel from China. Thousands of companies exhibit their latest innovations, giving a huge lift to the local economy.But earlier this week, Amazon, Sony, LG Electronics, Ericsson, Facebook, and chipmakers Intel and Nvidia said they would not attend the conference.French telecoms group Orange also pulled out, despite the fact its chief executive, Stephane Richard, chairs the GSMA.Deutsche Telekom had said it would be “irresponsible” to send its staff to a large gathering with so many international guests. Coronavirus: Ninth case found in UK How worried should we be?… Read full this story
- Coronavirus: 2020 OC Fair Canceled For First Time Since World War II
- Fluffy white poodle gets a final blush-up ready to compete at Crufts despite coronavirus fears
- 1,000 Brits stranded at sea as coronavirus fears leave cruise crew members unable to get home
- Tokyo Olympics 2020: Who pays if coronavirus forces cancellation?
- More than 300,000 Brits quit smoking amid coronavirus fears, study shows
- Love Island hopes of airing in summer 2020 'killed off' by insurance fears
- Turn mobile data on: Your smartphone can predict coronavirus spread two weeks in advance
- Dow plunges another 1,200 points on coronavirus fears
- Premier League players ‘will be able to REFUSE to play’ if season resumes amid coronavirus fears
- UK seeks 2,000 air passengers from Wuhan amid coronavirus fears
MWC 2020: Smartphone showcase cancelled over coronavirus fears have 321 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at February 12, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.