NEW DELHI: The Economist Intelligence Unit has revised downwards its global growth forecast for 2020 to 2.2 per cent, from 2.3 per cent previously, citing new risks that have emerged following the novel coronavirus outbreak in China. The virus originated in Wuhan, a city of around 11.3 million people in central Hubei province, China, and has spread to most provinces in mainland China and overseas. “The Chinese authorities are taking unprecedented quarantine measures to halt the spread of the pathogen, which is likely to have consequences on the global economy,” The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) said in a report. Global growth was sluggish throughout 2019 amid trade tensions, a sharp deceleration in real GDP growth in the US, China and India and political uncertainty in a number of EU countries. In addition, since the start of 2020, concerns related to coronavirus have increased threats to global growth, it said. Noting that the virus is a “threat” for global growth, the EIU has revised China’s growth downwards. “On the assumption that the spread of the virus will be under control by end-March, we are lowering our real GDP forecast for China in 2020 to 5.4 per cent, from 5.9 per cent… Read full this story
- IMF raises its forecast for global growth for 2017, 2018
- Dow soars 490 points, its best day since March 2009 after central banks ease flow of dollars globally
- Analysts raise oil price forecasts on possibility of supply restriction
- Federal Reserve leaves interest rates low in face of unstable markets, global economy
- Campbell Soup misses Wall Street forecasts, cuts sales outlook
- International Energy Agency: Oil price spike coming in 2020
- China’s slowdown, sagging commodity prices will slow global economic growth to lowest level since 2009, IMF predicts
- Amid Trump trade tensions, does it make sense to invest globally?
- Facebook tops revenue estimates, but growth worries send shares lower
- Kroger's stock takes another hit amid worries price war chipping away at profits
EIU lowers global growth forecast for 2020 amid coronavirus scare have 305 words, post on economictimes.indiatimes.com at February 12, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.