Iran strikes back In the wake of a targeted U.S. airstrike that killed top Iranian military commander Qassem Soleimani last week, Iran retaliated by firing 16 short-range ballistic missiles at two Iraqi military bases housing U.S. troops early Wednesday morning. U.S. and Iraqi officials said the strikes caused no casualties. A senior Iranian commander claimed the attacks were aimed to “strike the enemy’s military machine,” not to kill soldiers at the bases. The regime has vowed there would be “harsher revenge” taken against the United States in the near future, with the goal of pushing U.S. forces out of the region. Caught in the crossfire of escalating tensions, a Ukrainian commercial aircraft was shot down by an Iranian surface-to-air missile in Tehran just hours after the attack on Iraqi bases. 63 Canadians were among the 176 passengers killed. U.S. and European intelligence officials believe the crash was a mistake, but Iran has denied responsibility, calling the accusation “psychological warfare.” Promising to de-escalate the situation, President Trump has indicated he will not be planning any further military response against Iran and instead authorized new economic sanctions against top Iranian officials. War Powers check on Trump In the fallout of escalating U.S.-Iranian… Read full this story
- Full transcript: "Face the Nation" on September 2, 2018
- Transcript: John Kerry on "Face the Nation," September 2, 2018
- Jailed in 2018: The 77 faces of criminals locked up in since January
- How Elizabeth Warren could sweep the 2020 primaries
- Bernie Sanders and the 2020 age debate
- Analysis: Bernie Sanders and the 2020 age debate
- Transcript: Senator Roy Blunt on "Face the Nation"
- Uefa Nations League explained in four simple (ish) steps
- What is the Nations League and how do teams qualify for Euro 2020?
- How the Nations League helps teams qualify for Euro 2020
This week on "Face the Nation," January 12, 2020: Esper, Kerry, Kaine, Lee, Schiff have 288 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at January 10, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.