|Austria’s Dominic Thiem has split with advisor Thomas Muster. (Photo: AFP/William WEST)|
The world number five, who is chasing a maiden Grand Slam breakthrough at the Australian Open, brought Muster on board this month after he served as captain of the Austrian team at the inaugural ATP Cup.
He was due to make himself available for 20 weeks this year, working alongside Thiem’s coach Nicolas Massu.
“Well, nothing bad happened there. But we already said before we started the relationship that if it doesn’t work out, we’re gonna stop it, and that was the case,” Thiem said after moving into the Australian Open quarter-finals.
“I mean, I think it’s always difficult, especially for me at the stage where I am, to find something perfect to add to my team.
“And I just had the feeling that it’s not going to work out together, and that’s why we finished. So that’s all.”
Muster cryptically told Eurosport in an interview: “It is like this: There are houses which look nice from the outside, wonderful from the outside, but you rarely know who lives inside.
“He (Thiem) has improved a lot, but he has to catch up in the technical, physical and foremost in the mental area,” he added.
“To be honest I have seen myself in this role for the next two years. Why he has chosen differently – I know why, but I don’t want to say the details.”
- A Noteworthy Year for Dominic Thiem
- Wimbledon dream over for Kvitova, Thiem
- Federer beats Thiem at Tour Finals, rejects claims of preferential treatment
- Extreme fire warning extended: Authorities say 'strong correlation' between fire activity and illegal dumping
- What Twitter's massive new data dump reveals about Russian trolls
- Meet Toronto’s financial adviser taking care of NHL players’ big bucks
- Second mercury dump site alleged near Grassy Narrows being probed by Ontario
- Don't dump old pills; here's how to dispose of them safely
- Love Island fans stunned as Adam Collard, Alex Miller, Darylle Sargeant and Ellie Jones all get booted in epic dumping
- Rubbish turns Ganavan into a dump – again