In the summer of 2015, Shelma Lamy and her infant daughter, Neslina, got on a plane in Majuro, the capital of the Marshall Islands, and flew to northwest Arkansas. Life in the islands had been difficult. While Lamy was growing up, her parents worked nonstop—her father was a carpenter but also drove a taxi; her mother was a cook in a restaurant—so she spent much of her time helping with chores around the house, cooking and cleaning, and watching the smaller children, including a brother who was half-paralyzed. In the eighth grade, she stopped going to school, like many other kids her age; as she got older, it was hard to find work. The unemployment rate in the Marshall Islands is nearly forty per cent, and most of the available jobs for someone with little education are men's jobs, such as construction, Lamy said—"and they don't always bring enough money to support the whole household." Often, one household, as was Lamy's case, includes three or four families living together. The Republic of the Marshall Islands, situated between Hawaii and the Philippines, includes twenty-nine widely dispersed coral atolls and five volcanic islands, spread across seven hundred and fifty thousand square miles… Read full this story
- Canterbury floods: Is climate change to blame for severe weather events?
- Climate change: 167 million homes could be wiped out by 2040, warns charity
- Houston: A Global Warning
- ‘On The Move Again’ — Biden Focuses Joint Session Address On Jobs And Families
- Text of President Biden's Address to a Joint Session of Congress
- Full Text: President Joe Biden’s Address to Congress
- Read President Joe Biden's first address to Congress
- Joe Biden Calls for 'Once in a Generation' Investment in America. Read Full Text of Speech
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS APRIL 30
- James Carafano: Biden's first 100 days – these are president's top foreign policy hits, misses and maybes
The Cost of Fleeing Climate Change have 310 words, post on www.newyorker.com at January 10, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.