Hanoi (VNA) – Have you ever been to a traditional Vietnamese wedding and happened to see a couple of small cakes wrapped in an attractive layer of green leaves? Well, everything has its own story and with the wedding season vibe in the air, today’s story is about Phu The cake – one of the symbolic specialties of Vietnamese wedding culture.
Phu The is no exception. Understanding the meaning and story behind a delicious specialty can actually help improve the taste by stimulating the imagination.
There are various tales about the cake. A legend says King Ly Anh Tong (1136 – 1175) was leading his army on the battlefield amidst a brutal war, he received a box holding a nearly decorated cake made by the Queen. The gift touched the king’s heart, so he named it Phu The (husband and wife) to honour the love of every married Vietnamese couple. Phu The cakes were created hundreds of years ago, every family was busily preparing ingredients to produce their best cakes to meet their long lists of orders.
- 'When I'm his age, I won't have my husband': Penny Lancaster, 48, admits she dwells on the thought of Rod Stewart, 74, passing away due to their 26 year age gap
- Read a love letter George H.W. Bush sent to Barbara Bush during World War II
- Carolyn Hax: Husband interrupts her 20 times a day just to say 'I love you'
- Amanda Knox will write advice column for newspaper owned by her husband's family, answering reader's questions on 'life, love, suffering, and meaning'
- Jennair Gerardot Allegedly Killed Husband's Mistress In Pennsylvania Murder-Suicide
- 'Devious' wife, 56, is jailed for two years after tormenting husband with years of controlling, violent behaviour including attacks with hammers, knives and even a tin of beans
- Plenty to smile about! Pregnant Sylvia Jeffreys shows off her baby bump during a romantic stroll with husband Peter Stefanovic amid reports she's set to take over as host on ACA
- Photos of love and loss
- Tee Franklin on Bingo Love’s Golden Graphic Novel Romance
- Congrats to Channing Tatum & Jessie J, Who Are Reportedly in Love