share this article bookmark article share on facebook share on twitter share on Linkedin share on whatsapp share on email Share this article Whatsapp Facebook Twitter Linkedin Share News Desk Jakarta ● Thu, January 16, 2020 2020-01-16 12:14 472 48be62e941b44f04afae568c32258701 1 SE Asia #ASEAN,ASEAN,Vietnam,#Vietnam,leadership,#leadership,human-rights,#humanrights Free Civil society groups have called for concrete actions from Vietnam, which begins its ASEAN chairmanship this year, to address the most pressing human rights issues in Southeast Asia. The Asian Forum for Human Rights and Development (FORUM-ASIA), a coalition of human rights organizations across the region, criticized Vietnam for excluding efforts to tackle the deterioration of civic space and violations of human rights from its priority programs during its ASEAN chairmanship. "This is all the more worrisome as these have been happening consistently and remain unaddressed over the past decades," the coalition said in a statement on Wednesday. Citing documents from the 2018 Universal Periodic Review meeting at the United Nations, the coalition said Vietnam has systematically attempted to silence human rights defenders and bloggers at home "through the implementation of vague national security laws, physical attacks and restrictions on the freedom of movement, as well as torture and ill-treatment in detention". "As Vietnam… Read full this story
- ASEAN Inter-Governmental Commission on Human Rights meets online
- Amnesty: Iranian security forces committed human rights violations amid 2019 protests
- Human rights: What is China accused of?
- Imprisoned Iranian human rights lawyer begins hunger strike
- Belarus Opposition Leader Appeals to UN to Stop Human Rights Abuses in Her Country
- Foreign media applaud Vietnam’s 75-year successes
- AIPA 41: Parliamentary diplomacy for cohesive, responsive ASEAN Community
- Investing regionally amidst current pandemic volatility
- The bookish Thai rights lawyer who challenged the king
- VIETNAM'S BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES AUGUST 31
Activists demand new ASEAN chair Vietnam address human rights in region have 288 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at January 16, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.