Survivors of the Auschwitz-Birkenau death camp prayed and wept as they marked the 75th anniversary of its liberation, returning to the place where they lost entire families and warning about the growth of anti-Semitism around the world. More than 200 camp survivors were joined by political leaders from across Europe as they lit candles as part of an emotional procession around the former death camp site in Poland this evening. It was led by Polish President Andrzej Duda, who told those assembled: ‘We have with us the last living survivors, the last among those who saw the Holocaust with their own eyes. ‘The magnitude of the crime perpetrated in this place is terrifying, but we must not look away from it and we must never forget it.’ Many lost parents and grandparents in Auschwitz and other Nazi death camps during the Second World War, but were joined by children, grandchildren and even great-grandchildren to mark the liberation. The Duchess of Cornwall and London Mayor Sadiq Khan were among the UK delegation and were visibly moved as they placed their remembrance candles to remember the 1.1million victims murdered inside the camp. Polish President Andrzej Duda arrives for a candle lighting ceremony… Read full this story
- Merkel to address Berlin rally against anti-Semitism
- Thousands march at Auschwitz to honour victims
- Death toll rises to 16 in quake-struck Italy
- Norway mourns 92 victims after 'hell on paradise island'
- World leaders join mass Paris march to honor attack victims
- Death toll rises to 52 after migrant boat capsizes off Egypt
- Paris plans refugee camp as migrant deaths spike
- Hope fades as Mexico's search for quake survivors enters third day
- More blood but no victory as Philippine drug war marks its first year
- Leave camp leads in early UK referendum count
75 years to the day after they were freed from living hell, 200 Auschwitz survivors return to the Nazi death camp to mark the anniversary… and warn of rising anti-Semitism in the world have 283 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at January 27, 2020. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.