Vietnam, the co-organizer of the event, is considered one of the countries with strong performance in building efficient partnership in UN peacekeeping operations in South Sudan.
Quy said that Vietnam started sending personnel to UN peacekeeping missions in 2014. So far, 40 Vietnamese officers have been deployed to the UN peacekeeping missions in South Sudan and the Central African Republic.
The first level-2 field hospital of Vietnam replaced the UK’s hospital in October 2018 and operated effectively in the host country, he noted.
|Ambassador Dang Dinh Quy speaks at the event.|
The Vietnam Department of Peacekeeping Operations has been selected as one of the four centers in Southeast Asia meeting international standards in training personnel for peacekeeping operations.
At the event, which also saw the attendance of UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres and representatives from more than 100 UN member nations, delegates underlined the significance of UN peacekeeping activities.
The UN chief stressed that improving the performance of peacekeeping activities is a common responsibility of all involving parties. He also called for the international community to fully implement the Action for Peacekeeping initiative.
In order to enhance the effectiveness of peacekeeping operations, participants held that peacekeeping forces should adhere to their duties, especially protecting civilians.
Countries engaging in the operations must ensure that the personnel they send to the missions are trained and equipped with knowledge to UN standards, they said, adding the need to build criteria on the supervision of the activities as well as the supply of finance and equipment, the increase of women’s involvement in the operations, and the strengthening of information and transparency.
They agreed on the need to design an effective mechanism to handle violations by peacekeeping forces.
- Rivals MSU, Ole Miss share experience with Special Olympic athletes
- VIDEO: Heat’s Chris Bosh shares experiences of South African safari
- Protection of Hue’s colonial buildings lands in controversy
- Pitt in rare position in sharing facilities with NFL team
- Shared Belief surges to victory in Malibu Stakes at Santa Anita
- No sophomore slump: Jenner, Murray poised to keep building confidence
- Quest for the Cup: Jackets won’t let challenges stop them from building winning culture
- Rocky Bleier recalls Vietnam War, 40 years after it ended
- HCM City to host Vietnam–RoK Culture and Tourism Festival
- ‘Denny’s Denny’s’: Hamlin partners with classic restaurant for unique fan experience