Washington: A federal judge on Tuesday issued a permanent injunction barring President Donald Trump’s attempt to transfer $3.6 billion in military construction funds to build a wall on the US-Mexico border. Judge David Briones, of US District Court in El Paso, Texas, issued the injunction in a 21-page ruling. The ruling is a setback for Trump, whose administration has vowed to build at least 450 miles of wall along the border by November 2020, when the US presidential election will take place. Trump has argued the wall will deter illegal border crossings, a major focus of his presidency. A Justice Department spokesman said the administration would appeal the ruling. Trump declared a national emergency last February in order to transfer funds from the Pentagon to build the wall after Congress refused to provide the level of funding he sought. Top Democrats in Congress have criticized the project as wasteful and ineffective. In the lawsuit, the plaintiffs, El Paso County and the Border Network for Human Rights, an El Paso-based immigration reform group, argued that Trump exceeded his authority when he declared the emergency and sought to redirect the funds. Kristy Parker, counsel for Protect Democracy, an organization that represented plaintiffs… Read full this story
- House panel approves defense bill with border wall limits, Confederate base provision
- Donald Trump claims that private border wall built by his OWN supporters was to 'make him look bad' as it shows signs of crumbling
- Trump rips private Texas border wall built by his supporters
- He Built a Privately Funded Border Wall. It’s Already at Risk of Falling Down if Not Fixed
- Builder of private border wall Trump says he opposed got $1.7B in federal wall contracts: report
- About that border wall, Mr. Presidents ... who's paying?
- Trump Rips Private Texas Border Wall Built by his Supporters
- Thousands rally at SF Civic Center against travel ban, border wall
- Federal judge blocks new requirement for abortion coverage payments under Obamacare
- Trump says US-Mexico relations have 'never been better' and calls President López Obrador a 'cherished friend' despite past grievances over border wall, immigration and trade
In Setback to Trump, US Judge Blocks $3.6 Billion Fund Transfer to Mexican Border Wall have 340 words, post on www.news18.com at December 11, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.